Dan Evans Chair for Exceptional Faculty/ Excellence in Teaching, Learning & Service Award
2019-20 Nominations Due May 15, 2020
Effective 2020 the Dan Evans Chair for Exceptional Faculty and the Excellence in Teaching, Learning & Service awards are merged.
Dan Evans Chair for Exceptional Faculty Background:
The Dan Evans Chair for Exceptional Faculty award was created in honor of former Washington State Governor Daniel J. Evans, who championed and signed into law the Community College Act of 1967. Seed funding for the award was provided through the district-wide major gifts campaign, Building the Best. Funds have been matched by the WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges.
Like the Excellence in Teaching, Learning & Service award, the Dan Evans Chair for Exceptional Faculty was established to recognize outstanding teaching and exemplary service at the Seattle Colleges. At Seattle Central, two awards will be granted for $1,500 each to recognize one full-time faculty and one part-time faculty. Selection of faculty will be conducted by the Dan Evans Award Committee.
Award funds can be used for in-service training, temporary substitute or replacement costs directly associated with faculty development programs, conferences, travel, publication and dissemination of exemplary projects, a one-time supplement to the awardee’s salary for the duration of the award, or to pay expenses associated with the awardee’s program area. Funds cannot be used for lobbying or political campaign activities. Funds must be used within one year of award.
Nominations are due May 15, 2020. Awards will be announced at the annual year-end award ceremony.
- Nominees must be current part-time or full-time faculty at Seattle Central College who have worked at least one quarter at Seattle Central and three quarters in the past two academic years at the Seattle Colleges.
- Current students, faculty, staff, and administrators may submit nominations. Candidates may receive more than one nomination.
- Nominees must be employed at the time the award is used.
- A committee will select the recipients. This committee will be made up of: the two faculty awardees from the previous year, a student, the Dean of Library, eLearning, and Employee Development and the Executive Vice President of Instruction, Finance and Planning.
- Awardees will receive $1,500 and have their names engraved on a plaque showcased at Seattle Central.
- Awardees will participate in the President’s Day Program and serve on next year’s selection committee.
- To nominate a faculty member please use this form.
- Nominations are due by 4 p.m. on Friday May 15, 2020.
- Awardees will be announced the last week of Spring Quarter.
Awardees will be announced during the last week of spring quarter.
Camila Sigelmann (Apparel Design)
Jay McLean-Riggs (Global Health)
Sharon Spence-Wilcox (Information Literacy)
Steve Woods (SVI)
Valerie Hunt (Social & Human Services)
Frank Mestemacher (Wood Technology)
Kimberly McRae (Counseling)
Tsai-En Cheng (Chinese)
Scott Mahoney (Respiratory Care)
Gwen Sweeney (Math)
Katie Roberts (American Sign Language)
Tsai-En Cheng (Chinese)
Gregg Shiosaki (Hospitality & Culinary Arts)
Catie Chaplan (Carpentry)