TRIO-Student Support Services
To protect the health and safety of our campus community, TRIO - Student Support Services will primarily operate remotely with limited in-person services.
As of September 13, 2021, TRIO staff will be available remotely during the following hours: Mondays through Fridays from 8am to 4:30pm. Please note, starting Monday, November 1st, 2021, TRIO’s office will be open and operating fully in-person on campus.
Additionally, TRIO staff will have one advisor and one program staff available for weekly in-person drop-in on campus to meet with current and prospective students on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10am to 2pm. For the first week of Fall Quarter 2021, TRIO will be available for extended in-person drop-in hours on Monday, September 27 to Thursday, October 1st from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Please note at all times, all students and staff are required to wear a mask and maintain 6 feet of distance.
For current TRIO Students, please see the links below for a remote appointment and drop-in session with a TRIO Advisor.
- Log-in to Starfish and make a remote appointment:
Make an Online Appointment HERE
- See Virtual Drop-In Hours for Current TRIO Students HERE.
If you have further questions, please call our Virtual Front Desk at 206-934-3852.
What is TRIO?
Seattle Central College's federally-funded TRIO-Student Success Services (SSS) promotes retention, graduation, and college transfer of first-generation, income-limited, and/or students with disabilities. TRIO-SSS provides individualized services fostering personal, academic, and professional growth. Seattle Central has two TRIO-SSS programs: Classic and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math).
- To value, respect, and appreciate each student and staff,
- To place students’ needs first and be student-centered,
- To promote education by providing holistic supports and intrusive advising so that students have additional tools to navigate systems and to contribute to their communities and to society as a whole,
- To have fun in our everyday work, and
- To prioritize anti-racism in our practices and resources.
TRIO is committed to the transformation of society into one that promotes social justice and freedom from all forms of oppression, including but not limited to, racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, ageism, and ableism.
As a TRIO student you will have access to:
A primary advisor who can provide individualized academic support throughout your time at Central. This includes:
- Developing an education and transfer plan,
- Course registration, including priority registration for TRIO students whom meet with their advisor to discuss course selection for the following quarter,
- Early alert reports in partnership with your instructors to help inform areas of success and support in the course at the start and mid-quarter, and
- Guidance with college admissions and personal statements.
Tutoring resources, such as:
- Free in-person tutors in English, Math, and other academic subjects, and
- Access to eTutoring through the BE Learning Center.
Financial supports, such as:
- Help with applying for financial resources, including FAFSA, financial aid, Seattle Colleges Foundation Annual Scholarships, and other scholarships, and
- Workshops on budgeting, loan repayment, building credit, investing, and understanding more of our social class identities.
Transfer and career guidance, such as:
- Connecting you to TRIO alumni and university admission counselors,
- Supporting with career exploration and planning - finding a good career “fit” for you, and
- Resume building.
A community with quarterly celebrations and a space to hang out, access computers, and borrow supplies from our lending library, such as NFLEX test books and calculators.
Who do we serve?
- Students where neither parent/guardian have earned a Bachelor's Degree, low-income, and/or have a documented disability (Eligibility Criteria)
- Students planning to complete an Associate degree/certificate program
- Students admitted/enrolled at Seattle Central College
- Students seeking academic support
Seattle Central’s TRIO-SSS programs is 100% funded by the U.S. Department of Education Federal TRIO Programs. The TRIO Classic program is funded in the amount of $536,695 per year for a period of five years. The TRIO STEM program is funded in the amount of $261,888 per year for a period of five years.