Undocumented Students

Seattle Central College prepares students for life and work in a multicultural and diverse society. We strive to provide a respectful and effective learning environment for all students in the pursuit of their educational goals. Seattle Central enrolls and supports students whose status in the U.S. is undocumented. We recognize that everyone should have a right to access higher education, and undocumented students make essential contributions to our campus, community and nation.

Students Who Are Undocumented

Seattle Central supports prospective and current students who are undocumented. Undocumented refers to people who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States, who do not hold a current visa to reside in the U.S. and who have not been approved for legal residency in the U.S. Undocumented encompasses a wide range of people varying in age, country of origin and time of arrival to the U.S. For more terminology, visit United We Dream #HereToStay Toolkit for Educators.

Funding Your Education

There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented students’ admissions to public or private colleges/universities in Washington State. DACA is also not required to receive the Washington State resident tuition rate or financial aid.

Undocumented students entering college level classes directly from a Washington State high school or ESL, ABE or completing their high school diploma or GED at Seattle Central, are able to receive the Washington State resident tuition rate and apply for State financial aid if the following conditions are met;

  1. Live in Washington for at least 36 months (3 years) before earning a high school diploma, GED or equivalent (e.g. High School 21+)
  2. Graduate from a Washington high school with a diploma, or earn a GED, or earn a diploma equivalent (e.g. High School 21+)
  3. Continuously live in Washington after earning a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent until admitted to college

*Important: If students earn a High School diploma or GED before having lived in Washington State for 3 years, they might never be able to qualify for the resident tuition or state financial aid. Students may start taking High School 21+ (HS 21+) credits or the GED class at Seattle Central, but must not complete their program until the student has lived in Washington State for 3 years in order to qualify for these benefits.

**Please note: Any information provided by students to the institution is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and will not be shared with a third party.