Seattle Central offers a variety of programs that help you get the training you need for the career you want. If you are enrolled or interested in enrolling in one of these programs, you may be eligible for funding and resources to help meet your career goals.
Our Workforce Services programs provide required tuition, fees, books and transportation. Academic planning and job placement assistance is also available to qualifying students.
Our Workforce Education programs include:
- Basic Food Employment & Training Program (BFET): Available to students receiving federally issued Basic Food Benefits (SNAP).
- WorkFirst: Available to students receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Worker Retraining: Available to students who receive or have exhausted unemployment benefit within the last four years, are "displaced homemakers," veterans honorably discharged within the last four years, or formerly self employed.
- Opportunity Grant: Available to low–income adults pursuing an approved program. Students may receive funds to cover tuition and mandatory fees up to 45 credits and up to $1,000 for required books and supplies per academic year.
To find out if you qualify for funding, take a brief survey at startnextquarter.org. For questions please contact our Workforce Services office at WorkforceServices@seattlecolleges.edu or 206.934.3854. Learn more about other ways to pay for college.
Expanded Eligibility for Unemployed Workers Due to COVID-19
The federal government has expanded eligibility to unemployment insurance due to COVID-19, which has in turn expanded access to Worker Retraining for some workers who have experienced:
- A reduction in work hours due to COVID-19.
- Been laid off from a part-time position.
- Experienced reduced income from a gig-economy job such as driving Uber/Lyft or caring for pets through Rover.
- Been quarantined due to exposure to COVID-19, even if your place of employment remained open.
For more information on expanded eligibility for Worker Retraining, click here.
Forms and Documents
- Approved Professional Technical Programs List (pdf)
- BEFT Monthly Progress Form (pdf)
- Workforce Services Application (pdf)
- Workforce Services Enrollment Checklist (pdf)
- WorkFirst Weekly Attendance Sheet (pdf)