The goal of the Opportunity Grant is to help low–income adults reach the educational tipping point in high wage, high demand careers. Eligible students pursing an approved program may receive funds to cover tuition and mandatory fees up to 45 credits and up to $1,000 for required books and supplies per academic year.
Eligibility for the Opportunity Grant
- Washington State Resident (12 month minimum)
- Cannot have a previous college degree from the U.S. (Associate degree okay for BAS programs)
- Family income at or below 200 percent federal poverty level
- Demonstrate financial need (must apply for Financial Aid ‐ school code: 003787)
- Enroll in an Opportunity Grant approved Professional/Technical program:
- Business Technology Management: 1-year Certificate or AAS degree
- Healthcare & Human Services: Certificates, Associate’s degrees, or BAS degrees (excludes Health IT)
- Information Technology: Certificates or Associate’s degrees
- Seattle Maritime Academy
- Wood Technology: Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Training (PACT) or Carpentry
- Must be in good academic standing with a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher (waived for new students). Certain degrees may require a higher GPA.
To Apply for the Opportunity Grant
Demonstrate financial need by submitting one of the following
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); OR
- Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WAFSA) (if applicable)
For questions and concerns students can contact the Workforce Services office at 206.934.3854.