The Testing Office will be closed from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Wednesday, October 30, 2019, for a mandatory training. We will reopen for 1 - 4:30 p.m. as usual. The scheduled TEAS exam has been moved, and will take place at 1 p.m. Please plan your testing accordingly.
For BTM 111 (formerly MIC 101)
SAM Challenge is a computerized exam that tests ability to use Microsoft Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016, which is usually taught in BTM 111 (Introduction to Microcomputers). Students who pass the SAM Challenge may be able to waive BTM 111 for certain programs at Seattle Central. Not every program accepts SAM Challenge instead of BTM 111. Check with your program counselor first to see if SAM Challenge is an available test-out option.
Please be aware that SAM Challenge does not grant credit for BTM 111, but only proves that you may not need to take BTM 111 for your program.
- Cost & ID: $34 and Photo ID is required.
- Time limit: None (Usually takes around 2 hours.) Cannot be saved; must be completed at one time.
- Number of questions: 100
- Passing score: 80
- Retake: Apparel Design has no waiting period. All other programs have 30 day waiting period before retaking.
- Study guide: None available. Reviewing the current textbook for BTM 111 is recommended.
- Appointments: Not required. Walk–in basis only.
- Students applying to Apparel Design will be tested on: MS Word, Excel, and Windows file management.
- Students applying to any other program that accepts SAM Challenge (such as Information Tech or Applications Support) will be tested on: MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Windows file management.
- Mon/Wed/Thurs/Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (arrive no later than 3:00 p.m.)
- Tuesdays and Weekends: CLOSED
- These hours are available: September 2019 - June 2020.
How does the test work?
SAM Challenge will show a screen from one of the MS Office programs and ask you to perform a task (such as saving or opening a file, for instance). Usually you may use one of several different methods (right-click, drop-down menu, or shortcut key, for example), and you have 3 chances to answer correctly.
You can skip questions and go back to them later. However, the test cannot be saved and must be completed in one sitting.
- Photo ID must be presented before testing.
- Babies and small children are not allowed in the testing room. They must be supervised outside of the Testing Office. College staff may not provide supervision.
- Pagers, cell phones, & personal stereos must be turned off.
- Dictionaries, notes, and other reference materials (including internet resources) are not permitted.
- Testing staff are available to assist with computer use and interpreting scores, but may not assist with answering test questions.
- If you have a problem with your computer, let the staff know. Please DO NOT try to fix it yourself.