Math Placement Tests
Seattle Central uses the ALEKS PPL Test to evaluate math proficiency, a flexible way to determine student eligibility for math placement. Students are able to take the ALEKS placement test up to 5 times. All tests must be taken in the Seattle Central Testing Office. You must complete a minimum number of hours of review in the ALEKS system at home, on your own, before each re-test.
- More information on the ALEKS PPL, including current testing fees
- How to take the ALEKS math placement exam (pdf)
Math Proficiency and Admissions
Although applicants to Seattle Central are not required to demonstrate Math proficiency at the time of admission, your chosen admission path may be affected depending on which courses you test into. Students who are required to take the college Math placement test must have basic arithmetic skills to reach the lowest placement available.
- College Transfer and High School Completion students must take the college Math placement test prior to registering for their second quarter of full-time study
- Professional / Technical and Bachelor’s of Applied Science (B.A.S.) degree students must take the college Math placement test before admission to their specific program can be confirmed
- IEP Short-Term Certificate students might need to take the college Math placement test, depending on the specialization and classes they select
Exemption From Taking the College Math Placement Test
Students can waive the College Math Placement Test and meet Math proficiency requirements any time by submitting one of the following test scores or transcripts, issued within the last three years:
- SAT Math scores of 520 or higher (old format) or 550 (new format)
- ACT Math scores of 22 or higher
- AP score of 3 or higher in Calculus BC, or of 2 or higher in Calculus AB
- Proof they completed a college-level Math course at another recognized post-secondary institution
- Seattle Public School students may be exempt if they meet these requirements.
Learn more about the Seattle Central College Math Department and choose your math pathway.
Placement Testing Office Contact Info
For office hours and testing times, please contact the testing office directly.