The Music Department offers courses that contribute significantly to the Mission and Core Values of Seattle Central College. Our courses prepare students for Baccalaureate study and for diverse careers both within and outside of music. Accordingly, our students develop a comprehensive understanding of a global musical heritage, one that embodies multiple aesthetic ideals.
Famous Alumni of the Seattle Central Music Department
- Ben Haggerty, Macklemore
- Duff McKagan, Guns–N–Roses
- Tri Nguyen, Sound Engineer at Turner Studios (Cartoon Network)
- Anthony Polis, LA Music Industry Executive
- Owour Arunga Tate, Kenyan trumpeter
- David Vaughn, Music Director for Singer James Fortune
- Terence Vaughn, Music Director for Justin Timberlake
- Taye Zonday, Artist/Composer "Chocolate Rain"
The Music Department at Seattle Central College provides an inspiring environment that engages all students and ensures that music serves as an essential element in the college's intellectual, experiential, and cultural life. The Department advocates a dynamic variety of approaches to music, including individual and collective expression, performance, observation, analysis, and reflection.
Students at Seattle Central are fortunate to work with a first-rate Music Faculty, many of them on the leading edge of their respective concentration areas. Our Music Faculty includes teachers with broad experience in classical, jazz, world, and popular music; piano performance and pedagogy; music composition; voice; guitar; brass; woodwinds; strings; electronic music; orchestral, band, and choral conducting; music education; music history; and music theory.
All Seattle Central College students are welcome to enroll in our broad array of music course offerings. Through academic study, music performance, and experiences of music, we engage our students and our college community in the discovery and appreciation of musical styles and cultures of the past and the present.
Beyond the mere fulfillment of graduation requirements, our music curriculum fosters critical thinking, aesthetic assessment, and establishes a personal foundation in music and the fine arts which carries forward with our alumni as they pursue further academic and career pathways.
California State University, Hayward, Bachelor of Arts in Music
California State University, Hayward, State of California Teaching Credential, Music
San Francisco State University, Master of Arts in Music
California State University East Bay, B.A.
New York University, Jazz/Contemporary Music Studies, M.A.
David Paul Mesler
USC Thornton School of Music, Composition and Piano Performance, B.M.
USC Thornton School of Music, Music for Film and Television, M.M.
Toho-Gakuen School of Music, Music Education, Piano Performance, B.M.
University of Washington, Piano Performance, M.M., D.M.A.
University of Northern Colorado, B.M.E.
Colorado State University, M.M.
University of Washington, D.M.A.
- Arts Organization Position
- Community Arts Manager
- Performing Arts Administrator
- Recreation Arts Coordinator
- Community Development Specialist
- Higher Education (College Level)
- Associate Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Private Studio
- Music Supervisor/Administrator
- Music Therapist
- Speech Pathologist
- Voice Therapist
Instrument Making and Repair/Restoration:
- Instrument Designer
- Instrument Repair/Restoration
- Music Editor, Film & TV
- Disc Jockey
- Music Supervisor
- Video Music
- Attorney, Music Business; Music Copyright
- Instrument Sales Representative
- Music Dealer Manager
- Retail Music Sales
- Advertising Executive
- Booking Agent
- Personal/Professional Manager
- Business Manager
- A"R Administrator or Coordinator
- Instrumental, Pop/Rock/Jazz
- Vocalist/Instrumentalist, Classical Music
- Vocalist, Pop/Rock/Jazz
- Band – Amateur or Professional
- Cantor/Hazan (see also Worship)
- Recording Engineer
- Sound Technician
- Mastering Engineer
- Pit Musician
- Sound Engineer
- Music Director
- Organ Player
- Choir Director
- Handbell Director