Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes are for adults who are proficient in English, but want to improve their basic reading, writing, and math skills. Reading and writing are integrated in one class called Communications. Math covers addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percent, and introduction to algebra and geometry. We offer levels 1 - 6, but we cluster some classes together in the same classroom.
Tuition for each quarter is $25 for the initial orientation. You are not charged extra for the classes you are placed into for that quarter. If you complete the orientation but do not enroll in classes, or stop out, or if subsequent classes in the same quarter are cancelled due to low-enrollment, we cannot refund the $25. Each quarter thereafter, we charge only $25 for the quarter. This does not include the fee for to take GED® practice or official tests
For students who need to learn English or for whom English is a second (or third) language, our ESL program is a better fit.
Students must be 16 years old or older to take ABE classes at Seattle Central. If you are under 19 years old and haven't graduated from high school, you will have to get a release form from the school district. You should also consider taking GED® classes at Learning Center Seattle, because it is specifically geared to students your age, has counseling and wrap-around support available, and can guide you into free college classes when you finish with your GED®.
Mornings: 9-10:20 a.m. Monday–Friday
Evenings: 6–8:20 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Mornings: 10:30–12:20 a.m. Monday–Friday
Evenings: 6–8:20 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
We also have some electives: a computer lab class (two mornings per week) and a Special Topics class covering science and social studies (three afternoons per week).
How to enroll at the main campus (1701 Broadway)
New students must register before the quarter begins and attend an orientation. The orientation is 3 hours a day for 4 days and includes program information, assessments, testing, goal setting and registering for core classes. Tuition ($25) is for orientation; the classes you are placed in at the end of orientation are included in this tuition.
- Please open the flyer on the right-hand side (or below for small screens) to see dates for when you can register for orientation.
- Visit room BE3122 on the Seattle Central main campus. Bring a picture ID and $25 for tuition.
- Register for orientation.
- Pay the $25 tuition.
- Start attending classes on the first day of the quarter.
How to enroll at Seattle Vocational Institute (2120 S. Jackson)
- Call 206.934.4950 to confirm the next Admissions Workshop - what date and in what room.
- Attend the Admissions Workshop, usually Wednesdays starting at 1 p.m. and lasting until 5 p.m.
- Bring your official, unopened transcript to the High School 21+ teacher.
- Meet with the teacher for an information session, Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m. in room 308.
- Reading/writing/math classes are in the mornings.