Frequently Asked Questions

Need more information? The answers to many common Running Start questions can be found here.

If you are a high school junior or senior currently enrolled at any Washington state public high school, or are home-schooled, you are eligible for Running Start.

Before you can register for classes, you must first take an English and Math assessment test and place into college-level English (ENGL101) and/or college-level math.

All Running Start courses are tuition-free! However, students are responsible for the cost of textbooks, transportation and any mandatory student fees. Students eligible for free or reduced lunch at their high school are eligible for the book loan and fee waiver program.

Running Start credits will transfer to all state schools and universities in Washington state.

Thanks to a new grant, the Running Start program will cover tuition for the summer quarter. 

If you wish to take summer classes, you will need to provide a written letter from your high school counselor, giving you permission to enroll in summer classes.

If you are not participating in Running Start, you may be eligible to take summer classes through the Underage Program.