Veterans Benefits

The United States veterans, active duty, National Guard & Reserve military personnel, their spouses and dependents can access a variety of educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other programs to help pay for their education at Seattle Central College. To be eligible for educational benefits, you should enroll in VA–approved degree and certificate programs. Please click on the educational benefit program names below for more information.

Debt Information You must promptly notify your school's veterans certifying official and the VA. If there is any change in your enrollment, it may create a debt due to over-payment. Generally, VA cannot pay for:

• Courses you don't attend.
• Courses from which you withdraw.
• Courses you complete but receive a grade which will not count towards graduation.

If you have a change of enrollment which resulted in an over-payment of tuition and fees or Yellow Ribbon, you may see that debt indicated as a tuition and fee or Yellow Ribbon debt amount to be collected. However, VA will not collect the tuition and fee or Yellow Ribbon debt from you. Rather, VA will collect this amount from your school. (Authority 38 U.S.C. 3685(b)) In turn, your school may require you to pay them any outstanding balance for tuition and fees or Yellow Ribbon. VA will not manage your tuition and fee or Yellow Ribbon debts anymore - schools will hold these debts. You will have to go through your school if you owe money for dropping a class or withdrawing from school. The school may be reaching out to you for the debt. It is important that you contact the school and work through any issues.For additional information regarding debts, please visit

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Other Funding Support

Have you used all or most of your education benefits? You may be eligible for other resources.

Financial Aid

In addition to your VA educational benefits, you may be eligible for financial aid through federal, state or college grants, loans or scholarships. Please complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to learn more about the additional funding support available to you. Apply for aid.

Advance Pay

Students may request advance pay from the Financial Aid Office 30 days before each quarter. Advance pay is partial the first two months of the quarter. You do not need to be registered to request advance pay. Advance pay is available every quarter, provided that students skip one quarter. For example, a student attending spring quarter and does not attend summer quarter is then eligible for advance pay fall quarter.

VA Work–Study Program

This tax–free employment opportunity is available to qualified students. The Veterans Affairs Program Coordinator can provide information and a list of approved Work–Study sites.

Kerry Holifield, Jr.
Room BE3215 206.934.6352

State of Washington Tuition Reduction

Tuition waivers are available for veterans who served active duty, along with their spouse and children. As a veteran, you may be eligible for a partial tuition waiver (50 percent in–state tuition rate) if you are an undergraduate pursuing your first bachelor's degree with no more than 225 credits.

You may be eligible to receive a waiver of all tuition and fees (100 percent in–state tuition rate) up to 200 college–level credits if your parent or spouse was an eligible veteran* or National Guard member, and who is eligible through one of the following:

  1. Became totally disabled as defined in RCW 28B.15.385
  2. Lost his or her life while engaged in active federal military or naval services
  3. Is determined by the federal government to be a prisoner of war or missing in action

After registering for classes, you should meet with the Veterans Affairs Program Coordinator and submit your DD214 to receive a Washington state tuition reduction.

Financial Aid Office
Diem-Thuy Tran

*Eligible veteran: One who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters, or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.

Worker Retraining Program

Active Military or recently separated from Military? The Worker Retraining Program can provide tuition assistance, educational planning and advising services. The Worker Retraining Program provides funding and support to help you acquire the marketable job skills you need to launch a new career. You may be eligible if you are either of the following:

  1. You are an active Military Member and have received a notice of separation
  2. You have been separated from U.S. armed forces within the last two years

Contact our Workforce Services to learn more.
Room BE5166

Active Duty Service Members Tuition Assistance

The Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program has it's own refund procedures. Classes paid for by the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program will be issued refunds under the following conditions: 

Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarter DoD Tuition Assistance Refund Periods  for a 12 week Quarter

Official withdraw occurs through the first (1st) week if the quarter 100%                     

Official withdraw occurs during the second (2nd) week of the quarter 80%         

Official withdraw occurs during the third (3rd) and fourth (4th) weeks of the quarter 60%    

Official withdraw occurs during the fifth (5th) and sixth (6th) weeks of the quarter 40%    

Official withdraw occurs during the seventh (7th) and eighth (8th) weeks of the quarter 20% 

Week (8th-11th) constitutes 60% of the quarter 0%