Welcome to College News, an online resource that provides easy access to information about Seattle Central. Journalists and others are invited to explore the links below to learn more about Seattle Central and its programs.
For Media Inquiries
About Seattle Central
Seattle Central is a comprehensive urban college that serves an average of 10,000 students each quarter. We are one of 34 community and technical colleges in the state of Washington and a member of the Seattle Community College District.
Seattle Central and SVI are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education and the U.S. Department of Education.
The college is a member of the League for Innovation, a prestigious group of community colleges nationwide who have been selected for membership based on educational excellence
Learn more about Seattle Centrals mission and values, learning outcomes, history, and strategic goals. The Office of the President includes information about Seattle Centrals strategic plan, strategic plan progress report, and college and District budgetary information.
Where we are
Map & Directions
Seattle Central's main campus is in the Capitol Hill neighborhood and overlooks downtown Seattle, with west-facing views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. The college's Maritime Academy is in the Ballard neighborhood; the Wood Construction Center is in the Central District.
Who we are
- Total credit students = 11,754.
- Seattle Central's student body is very diverse, with 51 percent students of color.
- 60% female, 40% male.
- 43% full-time, 57% part-time.
- International students = 969 - from more than 50 nations.
- Running Start (high school) students = 581.
- Almost half of our students are enrolled in college and university transfer classes, making it our largest program.
- More than a quarter are enrolled for professional/technical training, 14 percent are in basic studies and pre-college courses, and 10 percent community and continuing education.
Faculty and staff
- Seattle Central has more than 1,000 full- and part-time faculty and staff.
What people are saying about Seattle Central
The New York Times, “For Achievers, a New Destination” April 22, 2007. “Seattle Central is a community college of choice for ambitious, high-achieving students.”
TIME Magazine, College of the Year special issue, September 10, 2001. “Seattle Central - College of the Year”
MRTE - State Board of Community and Technical Colleges and the University of Washington “After transferring to the University of Washington, Seattle Central graduates achieve as high or higher academic performance than students who started at the UW as freshmen.”For further information, please contact:
Seattle Central Community College
Public Information Office
1701 Broadway, Room BE4180
Seattle, WA 98122