TRIO Peer Mentor Program
Peer Mentor Job Description
About Peer Mentors
Peer Mentors serve to support community building and encourage first-year TRIO SSS students in their adjustment to Seattle Central and college in general. Through holding community events and individual meetings with first-year students, Peer Mentors will provide guidance for new students, helping them identify campus resources, leadership development opportunities, thereby being a role model and success advocate for their mentees.
Through Spring 2023, this position is 5 hours per week, which will be a combination of in-person and remote. Additionally, the quarterly mentor training will be in person on campus. Mentors will be expected to meet regularly as a group to plan and execute programming.
Peer Mentor orientation will take place in October 2022.
TRIO work study eligible students will have priority for peer mentor positions. The wage is $17.25/hour.
- Participate in peer mentor orientation first week of October.
- Plan and facilitate events for community building
- Attend quarterly peer mentor trainings
- Participate in weekly meeting with supervisor
- Run First-Gen TRIO Student club with other Peer Mentors
- Develop a trusting relationship with mentees
- Help students learn about campus resources that are available to them
- Encourage mentees attendance at campus programs and events, as well as connecting with faculty
- Address student questions and make referrals as necessary
- Consistent and timely communication with TRIO staff and mentees
- Support larger TRIO community development efforts
- Be a second year student at Seattle Central College and be an active TRIO SSS member
- Be committed to attending Seattle Central College as a student through the end of Spring quarter 2023
- Be willing to learn and share information about the Seattle Central College community, student life, and campus resources
- Demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills
- Have a genuine desire to help your peers succeed
Apply here: https://forms.office.com/r/afUg5AY0rp
Application Deadline: Friday, September 9th 11:59 pm.
We are hiring multiple peer mentors and look forward to your application! We will be conducting interviews in September.
Questions about applying or want to learn more? Email: Qanani.A.Kalil@seattlecolleges.edu