Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ is intended to help answer questions about the Worker Retraining Program.

What programs does Worker Retraining fund?

State funded, credit programs or classes that lead towards improved employment opportunities.

How do I apply?

Attend a Worker Retraining Information Session. These sessions are held every Thursday at 2:00 p.m. in room BE4180.

How much funding is available for me?

Generally, Worker Retraining funds are limited to one quarter only. However, we work in conjunction with various funding programs and will help you find resources to achieve your retraining goals.

Do I have to apply for financial aid?

Yes. This will help us explore other funding resources: How To Pay for College (more funding sources through Seattle Central).

Should I apply for other grants and scholarships?

This is not a requirement, but may provide additional funding for school. Information can be found at our campus library, our Career Services Center, and our Worker Retraining Office. And don't forget: How To Pay for College for more funding sources.

Are Worker Retraining and Dislocated Worker Programs (WIA) the same?

No. The Worker Retraining Program is a state funded program and Dislocated Worker Programs are federally funded. Eligibility criteria and application processes are different. You should contact Dislocated Worker Programs (WIA) at local WorkSource Centers.

What is CAT / TB?

CAT –Commissioner Approved Training is a request to the Employment Security Department that allows you to collect your unemployment insurance while attending school full–time. CAT does not pay for training.

TB–If you are enrolled in an approved training program, Training Benefits allow you to collect additional weeks of unemployment benefits once you have received all of your regular benefits. TB does not pay for training.

What happens if I exhaust my unemployment benefits?

Students who have exhausted all Unemployment Benefits may be eligible for Training Completion Aid (TCA). They should check with a Worker Retraining Representative for more information.

What is my first step?

Attend a Worker Retraining Information Session. Visit for more information.

Back to the Top