Chairing a Program Review
- Contact the program dean and all faculty 1 ½ to 2 quarters before the due date for review materials. Inform them that their program is up for review and that you will be their contact person.
Set a date for an informational meeting. The dean and faculty should attend this meeting. Print out the program review instructions and copy for those attending the meeting.
- At the meeting, highlight the program review instructions on the PRC Web site and let them know all pertinent dates. Be sure the program understands that all information is due one week before the review meeting. Required information includes:
- Course outlines and sample syllabi (outlines for courses with common course numbers are available in the district document center; request others from Mark Baumann)
- A completed course outline table
- Program Analysis and Viability Study (updated as appropriate; submit to review chair)
- Program Web pages, if any (committee will view online)
- Current Program Map and the Program Outcomes Assessment Report
- If your team has fewer than three members, you should seek ad hoc members from appropriate divisions. Talk to the PRC chair for details.
- Provide program information to the program review team before the review.
- Set a deadline by which committee members need to submit their comments to you.
- Organize the comments into sections such as “Comments,” “Questions,” and “Suggestions.”
- Run the meeting the day of the oral review. Take minutes or assign a committee member to take minutes for you.
- Submit questions and recommendations to the faculty and dean involved within one week after the review. Request a response, including a “wish list,” detailing items that would improve their program. Give a due date for the response.
- Based on the committee’s comments and the program’s response, complete the review report form (1-3 pages is usually sufficient) to be sent to the Vice President of Instruction and the Chair of the Program Review Committee. Send a draft to the committee and finalize the report. This report should be completed within the same quarter of the review. For reviews that are scheduled late in the quarter, reports may be submitted within the first 3 weeks of the following quarter.
- Participate in the review follow-up meeting if the program desires a follow-up.