Finding Subject Encyclopedias
Look for both print and online
Now that you know why articles in subject encyclopedias are worth your time, you'll need to be able to find them. Here are some tips for locating a subject encyclopedia on your topic:
- Ask a librarian for suggestions. Your librarian uses subject encyclopedias every single day, so this is the quickest way.
- Use the library's book catalog.
- Search the word "encyclopedias" along with a keyword.
- Keep the keyword broad. For example: "food" instead of "coffee"
- Check your library's online databases. Some interfaces provide access to many online subject encyclopedias in a single search. Examples:
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Oxford Reference Online
- In your library's database list you might also find individual subject encyclopedias online. Examples:
- Grove Art Online
- Grove Music Online
- AccessScience: Encyclopedia of Science & Technology Online
Caution: Subject Encyclopedias are very expensive. You will not find them online using Google or any other search engine. Your library pays $$$$ for the online access. Use your Library's web site to get to online subject encyclopedias.