Ideas for Finding Topics
Having trouble coming up with an idea? Try these strategies:
- Brainstorm out loud with friends, librarians, or your instructor.
- Think about class readings and class discussions, especially if your project is for a specific discipline, like history, economics, art or anthropology.
- Watch the evening news.
- Browse the headlines in newspapers and magazines.
- Scan credible news sites, such as NPR, (National Public Radio), CNN, or the New York Times
- Browse the reference shelves of your library. Look for books that cover a range of issues, such as Social Issues in America: An Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia of Social Issues, or CQ Researcher. Scan the table of contents for ideas.
- Search your library's book catalog for book series, such as Opposing Viewpoints and Current Controversies, that offer the "pros and cons" of popular topics.
- Explore these "topics" web sites: