Study Guide for ITP 115 Survey of Interpreting Final Exam
1. The difference between interpreting and translating
2. What is source language vs. target language?
3. What is significant about Gish and Colonomos?
4. Meaning of culture and Marie Phillips’ definition of culture
5. The pathological and cultural view on deafness, meaning of audism and oppression etc
6. Influences of culture on the interpretation process
7. The differences in ASL and variations of Signed English, Contact vernacular etc.
8. Deaf-blind communication, minimal language skills, Rochester method etc.
9. Meaning of schema & cohort group, meaning of passive voice, powerless and powerful
Speech, respectful communication etc
10. When and where was RID established and its purpose and its various certifications
11. What is AVLIC and its purpose?
12. What is Washington State’s requirements for interpreters?
13. What is William Stokoe’s contribution to the Deaf community and interpreting?
14. What are the laws such as PL 94-142, Section 501-503, & Rehabilitation
Act of 1973, ADA and how has it affected Deaf people and interpreters?
15. Collectivist vs Individualist culture
16. What is Gallaudet, DPN, N.A.D., who is I. King Jordan, what’s so special about him?
17. When did the Congress of Milan occur, when was NAD established?
18. What are the various stages/approaches of interpreting over the years?
19. The difference between consecutive and simultaneous interpreting
20. Requirements for K-12 or educational interpreting vs. freelance interpreting esp. in
21. Interpreting injuries, what are these? Ideas for prevention etc
22. ASL “Expansion” techniques, what are these?
22. What are RID SIGs?; Organizations of, by and for the Deaf such as NAD, BDA,
RAD or of Interpreters organizations such as NAOBI, BLeGIT, etc.
23. What is VRS and its purpose? How has it affected the interpreting field
24. What is vicarious trauma and how has it affected interpreters?