Careers In Healthcare
As our population ages, the demand for skilled healthcare workers is greater than ever. In fact, seven of the twenty fastest growing occupations are healthcare related, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Although doctors and nurses comprise 40 percent of all health care providers, the other 60 percent are allied health practitioners.
Seattle Central Community College has five distinct programs of study for those interested in working in the healthcare industry.
Allied Health provides access to high demand health careers with a health industry–focused degree. The program offers a technical certificate for career advancement and a pathway for those pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
Dental hygiene professionals focus on the prevention and treatment of oral diseases (teeth and gums). Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
(EFDA) prepares Dental Assistants to perform expanded function procedures such as placing and contouring dental fillings, and is a career ladder to entering Dental Hygiene.
Nurses provide nursing care to patients in a wide variety of settings. Approved by the Washington State Board of Nursing and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
Prepares students to work as NAC's giving personal care to patients in nursing homes and hospitals. This course is only offered Spring and Summer quarters at this time.
Opticians prepare and dispense prescription eyewear and contact lenses. The program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation.
Respiratory care is the treatment and management of patients with heart and lung disorders. Seattle Central's program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
Surgical technology specialists are part of an operating room team who care for a surgical patient. The program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.